Thursday 16 April 2015

Eklipse - The Best Heavy Metal Band of the Late Eighties (in Peterborough anyway!)

Eklipse were, in my opinion of course, Peterborough's best pub-playing Heavy Metal band of the late 1980s. Originally a five piece, I was drafted in as a replacement bass player by my old mate Danny Frost. The full line up was:

Nigel Smith: Vocals
Glen Stokes: Drums
Mark Guest: Guitar
Danny Frost: Guitar
Me: Bass

I think it's fair to say that our musicianship was pretty good. This was way before the Internet, and back then, the only way to learn songs was to either pick it up by ear (which we did) or hope you could get sheet music. I couldn't read bass clef then, and still can't.

Mark left after a gig or two, but the band continued as a four piece, performing songs including:

Dio - Stand Up And Shout
Dio - Rainbow in the Dark
Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer
Iron Maiden - Running Free
Iron Maiden - Moonchild
Iron Maiden - Two Minutes to Midnight
Black Sabbath - Iron Man
AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
AC/DC - Chase The Ace
Anthrax - Madhouse
Ozzy Osbourne - Bark at the Moon
The Cult - Li'l Devil
Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild
Twisted Sister - I Am, I'm Me (I think!)

and a few others which I can't remember.

There were also some self-penned songs including such forgotten classics as "Demon Mind Destroyer" ("You're the darkest demon in town") and "The Driver" which I wrote and was frankly a poor rip-off of a Y&T song. Titles of any more have long since faded from my memory.

L-R: Danny Frost, Me, Nigel Smith, Glen Stokes, Mark Guest

Rehearsals took place in a garage behind The Lion pub in the centre of Peterborough. The workers at a nearby solicitors regularly complained about the noise, but as we were practicing outside working hours, this only resulted in us turning the volume up.
This is from my final gig - a sold-out free to enter gig at The Scotgate in Stamford. We had blagged a 1,000W PA for the gig and in such a small space it was deafening. 
















There are probably many more things to recall, and I'm sure I've forgotten much of the history of my time in the band so watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment