Monday 13 April 2015

Project - my Squier Affinity P Bass

I bought an Affinity P Bass because at the time I hadn't got a Precision style bass and I also wanted to try out my skills at upgrading a bass.

Step one was to replace the white pickguard with a black one. Step two was replace the bridge with a Babicz bridge. I've got a Badass II on my Jazz bass, but the Babicz looked rather interesting.

It certainly makes a difference. The sustain is much improved and it looks much better than that old piece of tat which comes as standard.

I wasn't keen on the single ply black pickguard and decided to replace it with a three ply black-white-black version. After buying a few which didn't fit (hole spacing etc), I managed to find this one:

 It looks much better with the white line around the pickguard.  This also shows the new fretmarker stickers. These were cheap as chips from Japan (or China - I can't remember) and very easy to fit. The difference is amazing. I've never really liked dot markers.

The next modification was to put the original silver string tree back on. My original plan was to have an all black bass - bridge, string tree, machineheads etc, but the machineheads I bought wouldn't fit the headstock holes without some serious re-drilling. I wimped out and gave them to my stepson who has installed them on his Precision Bass.

Next on the list is to replace the pickups. This will either be with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders or Dimarzio pickups. I've also got a new wiring harness to install, but this I'll do at the same time as replacing the pickups to save soldering everything twice. Whilst all the internals are out, I'll be lining the cavity with copper tape to reduce interference.

No comments:

Post a Comment